Hort Department Graduate Develops Edible Campus Garden Program

A note from Jessica Kemper, 2014 grad

I wanted to reach out and share a new event happening at the University of Utah!

I graduated in 2014 with a horticulture degree from UW-Madison and am delighted to share that I’ve been working on developing the Edible Campus Garden program situated in the University of Utah Office of Sustainability.

Most recently, our Produce Pickup has been a huge hit! Thanks to inspiration from FH King and their Harvest Handouts and the Campus Food Shed (which I hope we can start to move towards) we’ve begun, on a small scale, to get free and fresh produce into students hands. So far there have been three Produce Pickups and we’ve donated about 50 lbs. of produce a week which has served about 20-25 students. We have a fairly small garden and also sell our produce to restaurants on campus and at the University Farmers Market. The program’s goal is to place 300+ pounds of produce grown on campus into students hands. Got to start somewhere!

I also wanted to share a bit of gratitude for the education I received at UW-Madison, and that the mission is being shared. I am so thankful to find myself in a position where I am making a difference, and I couldn’t do it without my experience at UW!  

Here is a brief story featured in the universities newsletter this week: @theU