Frequently Asked Questions

Potato Flower; Photo Credit Austin Meier

Potato Flower; Photo Credit Austin Meier

Q. What are the procedural and academic requirements for admission?

A. All programs require the submission of an on-line application form submitted to the Graduate School and an application fee paid directly to the Graduate School. Applicants must meet the Graduate School’s minimum requirements.  After applying to the Graduate School, applicants must submit their official transcripts to the department. The department will obtain the application from the Graduate School and recommend students for admission.  Additional information about the application process is outlined in the admissions portion of our website.

Q. I am an International Student. Where can I find information regarding opportunities, options, and assistance?

A. Online information can be found at the International Student and Scholar Services websiteInternational applicants are required to have sufficient funds to cover their expenses completely while attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The university’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is mandatory for international students and their dependents living in the U.S.

Q. Is funding available to support my graduate studies?

A.  Yes, please view our funding page for more information.

Q. How do I get a student ID card?

A.  Visit the WisCard website.

Q. How do I enroll in courses?

A.  Enrollment is done on-line via My-UW Madison.  If you do not know your Net ID and password, contact the DoIt Help Desk at 608/264-4357.

Q. Where can I find housing information?

A. Check out our housing information under For New Students.

Q. What is considered full-time and part-time status?

A. The Graduate School considers full-time enrollment to be 8-12 graduate-level credits (300 and above; no audits or pass/fail) during the fall and spring semesters and 4-8 graduate credits during the eight-week summer session.  A student who has dissertator status is considered full-time with 3 graduate-level credits.

 Q. Where do I find information about applying for graduation?

A. Find out about graduate commencement from the Graduate School’s Procedures.

Q. Where do I find information about UW-Madison rules for conference and research travel?

A.  Please visit the Concur website and click on the “Before You Go” tab for policies and procedures.