Graduate Study – Funding Information

Jansky Lab Potato Planting; Photo Credit Shelley Jansky

Jansky Lab Potato Planting; Photo Credit Shelley Jansky

All applicants to the graduate program in Horticulture are automatically considered for financial support. There is no need to submit a separate application. Most of our students are supported through research assistantships, but additional sources of internal financial support including teaching assistantships, project assistantships, scholarships, and fellowships may also be available. Please be aware that these are competitive awards and there is prestige associated with obtaining scholarships or grant support.

We highly encourage students interested in financial support to pursue external funding opportunities in addition to the awards and appointments listed below. The CALS Office of Graduate Studies and Professional Development maintains a list of funding opportunities on their scholarships and fellowships page.

International students should refer to the International Applicant Financial Information website when preparing their applications. Applicants will submit their financial information only after a favorable admission decision has been made.


Types of Funding at UW-Madison

Research Assistantships (RA)

A research assistantship (RA) is a financial award for a graduate student working on research directly related to his or her program of study. Research assistants in the Department of Horticulture are typically appointed at the 50% level. The availability of RA’s is limited. At the 50% rate they carry a stipend, which is $20,808 for 12 months (2013/14), a remission of tuition, and the option to participate in a health-care plan comparable to that available to faculty.

Horticulture 370; Photo taken by Katie Bolssen

Horticulture 370; Photo taken by Katie Bolssen

Teaching Assistantships (TA)

A teaching assistantship (TA) is paid employment for a graduate student who has been assigned teaching responsibilities for a specific course. A graduate student on a 33% or greater TA earns tuition remission, health benefits, and a monthly salary. Although the Department of Horticulture has a limited number of TA appointments to award, our students have been successful in securing TA appointments with other departments and programs.

Program & Project Assistantships (PA)

A Program or Project Assistantship (PA) is another form of employment for graduate students. Like a TA, a PA appointment of at least 33% includes tuition remission, health benefits, and a monthly salary. These types of positions are rarely available in Horticulture; however, PA appointments can be found in other departments and offices on campus.


There are a few scholarships available to graduate students in horticulture through the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS). Student may use a single application to apply for all of the scholarships for which they are eligible. Please visit Scholarships@UWMadison for more information.


Photo by Jeff Miller; UW-Madison, University Communications

Photo by Jeff Miller; UW-Madison, University Communications

The University of Wisconsin offers programs that support diversity in graduate education; interested applicants should visit the Science and Medicine Graduate Research Scholars Program or the Advanced Opportunity Fellowship (AOF) websites for more information.

Department of Horticulture offers limited internal fellowships; current students will be notified by email when fellowship competitions are announced.

The Graduate School provides information about additional fellowship opportunities on their website.  In addition, the Office of Fellowships & Funding Resources (OFFR) provides assistance to graduate students, staff and faculty on campuswide funding issues, particularly those related to internal and external fellowships.

External Funding

Additional opportunities for funding exist beyond the support offered by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. For example, candidate may also bring with them external funding from a variety of sources including: foreign government sponsorship, industry sponsorship, and independent fellowships (e.g., Fulbright Scholars). For more information on cost and funding associated with graduate study please visit the Cost of Graduate School page. International students should refer to the International Applicant Financial Information.